Life should be pretty simple. It is us who make it hard. We worry about what may happen in the future or fret about the past. However, the past and the future cannot be controlled. All you have is the present moment, the “here and now.” As Buddha once wisely said:
“The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly”.
Unlocking The Power Of Now In Martial Arts
For martial artists, living in the “here and now” offers a unique advantage. Tension and stress can lead to conflict, hindering progress and performance. But when you live in the moment, you embrace acceptance, making everything more complete. This is an empowering feeling. By staying present, you retain your personal power to shape your life. Change can only occur in the now, and to do so, you must accept life as it is.
Benefits Extend To All Aspects Of Life
The benefits of mindfulness extend far beyond the dojo:
- Improving Relationships: Enhanced awareness fosters deeper connections with others.
- Stress Reduction: Living in the present helps to reduce anxiety and stress.
- Sharpened Focus: Your ability to concentrate and excel in tasks is greatly improved.
- Anxiety Management: Mindfulness aids in managing anxiety effectively.
Furthermore, practicing presence allows you to:
- Savor Enjoyable Moments: Fully immerse yourself in joyous experiences.
- Cherish Loved Ones: Pay undivided attention when spending time with your loved ones.
- Deep Thinking: Delve into books, movies, and contemplation with unwavering focus.
- Quieten Your Mind: Combat racing thoughts and overthinking.
The Struggle To Stay Present
So, why can’t people live in the present moment? It is because we do not shut off our minds. Your thoughts are constantly talking to you. As we know, if all you are doing is talking, you are never listening and observing what is. I acknowledge it is really hard to live in the present moment. After 30 seconds, I am worrying about something. This means my self-talk is negative. And there is no need for it to be. If I really look at my life, I am involved in two wonderful communities whose aim is to provide service to others and to help people kick goals and achieve everything that it is important to them. The practice of martial arts, learning self defence, getting fit, etc, are just tools. The main thing we do is “build a better you” (for whatever that means to you).
14 Tips For Embracing The Present Moment
To help you rekindle the art of mindful living, here are some tips:
- Notice Your Surroundings: Pay attention to the world around you.
- Focus on One Thing: Dedicate yourself to one task at a time.
- Monotask: Avoid multitasking and concentrate on one activity.
- Reduce Distractions: Minimize interruptions to stay present.
- Practice Gratitude: Be thankful for what you have in the present.
- Show Acceptance: Accept the current moment without judgment.
- Mindfulness Meditation: Cultivate a habit of mindfulness meditation.
- Seek Positive Support: Surround yourself with supportive individuals.
- Mindful Action: Approach every action with mindfulness.
- Deep Breathing: Practice deep breathing exercises to centre yourself.
- Digital Detox: Take breaks from social media and technology.
- Regular Exercise: Engage in physical activities like martial arts.
- Mindful Movement: Explore practices like yoga, tai chi, qigong, and Pilates.
- Journaling: Document your journey and thoughts.
This week, in your moments of quiet reflection, slow down your thoughts and fully immerse yourself in the present. Whether you are training in martial arts or simply going about your daily life, commit to experiencing every moment with intent.
In the dojo, feel the floor beneath your feet, the fabric of your uniform against your skin, and hear the sounds around you without attachment. Perform techniques as if you are the best martial artist in the world, free from self-doubt. While it may be challenging, mastering the art of living in the present in the dojo can empower you to do the same in every facet of your life.
For those seeking “martial arts classes near me” that emphasise the transformative power of living in the present, please click on the timetable link on this website. We look forward to seeing you in class, where we will embark on this mindful journey together!