My corporate work recently moved office from North Sydney to the CBD of Sydney. While it is great to be back among the masses (tongue firmly in cheek) I have witnessed a few instances that have made me reflect on CBD Self Defence skills:
- A pedestrian accident
- A bicyclist and a car colliding
- A person under the influence of substances hassling ladies having lunch in the park
- A taxi catching on fire
All this in a few months… it can be a jungle out there.
Here are a few tips on CBD Self Defence… from the common and the more extreme risks that we face:
- Awareness is the key – I see so many people with their earphones in and tapping on their smartphone as they walk along! I personally count about 10 pedestrians I have pulled out of the way of George Street buses over the years
- Understand the environment – it is so easy to go with the flow of people, but often the crowd crossing the street does so against the pedestrian rules or unaware of the risks – buses, taxis, delivery drivers – all rushing deadlines and the orange light
- Plan your path – in Winter it is dark and walking a well-lit path is critical – avoid those parks and back alley shortcuts
- Know the dangers – unfortunately the CBD brings out some specific risks – homeless and mentally ill living rough, alcohol affected violence and the City being a beacon for the proverbial ‘big night out’
- Learn a robust, practical and self defence focused martial art
The old saying – be alert but not alarmed – holds true! Be safe, enjoy yourself and get home safe!
Ben Owens & Darren Higgs run Quantum Martial Arts offering classes in ju jitsu, self defence and martial arts fitness in the heart of Sydney CBD.